Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Guest: John Dolan


My guest this week is John Dolan, world traveller, tweeter extraordinaire, poet and writer (among other things). He’s penned a rather whimsical piece on writing for your enjoyment.


Playing A Round Writing

OK, now here’s the thing:
(And I’ve given this a lot of thought
So pay attention, will you?)

Writing is very much like golf.

Yes, yes, I know,
You don’t actually go for a long walk
While you’re writing;
And you don’t usually do it
With other people,
And you don’t dress up
In special clothes
(In fact you can write naked
If you really want to,
Although I wouldn’t advise it).


But it is a game of the mind.
Just ask Tiger Woods:
He’s a great writer.

Wait a minute.
I think I’m confusing him
With Jack Nicklaus.

It was he that wrote
“The Eagle Has Landed”,
Was it not?

You say I need to think this through more?
Are you taking a swing at me?

Then let me sit down with my cup of tee
In the sand-trap of my imagination,
Open my heart
And try to iron all this out.
Wood that I could
Just putt into words
The hole of my philosophy.
But I fear today I am below par:
Furthermore I would hazard a guess
You perhaps think that I am very green
And that I have a fairway to go
To justify my stance.

Of course, you may be write.
Perhaps I am handicapped.
Fore after all –
Who but a fool could confuse
Golf with words?


John's Bio:

"Makes a living by travelling, talking a lot and sometimes writing stuff down. Galericulate author, polymath and occasional smarty-pants." (John's own words).

John Dolan hails from a small town in the North-East of England. Before turning to writing, his career encompassed law and finance. He has run businesses in Europe, South and Central America, Africa and Asia. He and his wife Fiona currently divide their time between the UK, the UAE and Thailand. You can interact with John via his blog Galericulate or follow him on Twitter @JohnDolanAuthor

John is the author of the 'Time, Blood and Karma' mystery series. The first book in the series, 'Everyone Burns', is published by Tention Books.

Everyone Burns’ is available at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk in paperback and Kindle formats.

John’s darkly humorous short story ‘Jim Fosse’s Expense Claim’ is currently FREE on Smashwords.com and it contains the first chapter of ‘Everyone Burns’ by way of a taster.


7 comments:

Shireen L. Platt said...

You're never below par no? ;-)

John Dolan said...

Hi Eric,
Thanks for letting me ramble away on your blog!
Best,
John

John Dolan said...

Modesty forbids ... :)

Eden Baylee said...

John, you do ramble in many places, don't you? Wordplay ... fantastic.
eden

Scarlett Flame said...

Nice *play* on words there John - brilliant

John Dolan said...

Whoa, just spotted this, Eden. Thank you!

John Dolan said...

Ha. Appreciated, Scarlett.